An Herrn Professor Neumann
|Buschmann| Singapore 1.st Nov. 1832.
I have the pleasure to acknowledge the Receipt of yours dated Berlin 7th July and am glad to find that you purpose to cultivate not only occidental but also oriental Literature on the Continent and that in Berlin and should be glad if it was in my power to furnish matter & means to prosecute such a noble object.
As yet nothing has been p printed in Siamese except one small Christian Tract – Mr Gutzlaff, I believe you know before this has visited several parts of China and in the beginning of Octbr ll * * last month he went on a second Tour to Tartary in the Cylph, he expects (DV) to be down here in Jan|uar|y 1833, when I hope we shall be able to publish some of his numerous works.
Since you visited us, I have effected a revision of the Malay Psalms & the N. T.
I have made & printed a translation or rather a digest of a small Bugis work, of each of these I do myself the pleasure of sending two Copies, one for yourself & one for Count Humboldt – I have now the Engl, Bugis & Malay Vocabulary in the Press, this & the second vol. of the Malay N. T. I hope will be finished by Jan|uar|y Next –
I purpose if possible after that to go for a season to the Celebes to effect a Translation of the Bugis N. T. – this work will furnish materials for a Dicty & Grammar if time & health permit –
I have collected materials for a New & larger Dicty of the Malay but do not know yet whether I shall be able to get |264r| it published – I am rejoiced to hear that Mr Gutzlaff is likely to be joined by a fellow labourer in the Siamese Mission, pray present my christian salutation to Mr Schürman & assure him that I shall give him a hearty & cordial welcome in Singapore with sentiments of Regard & well wishes in your literary pursuitsI am
Über diesen Brief
In diesem Brief
- Bruckner, Gottlob (1829): Das neue Testament übersetzt auf Javanisch, Serampore
- Bruckner, Gottlob (1842): Een klein woordenboek der Hollandsche, Engelsche, en Javaansche Talen, Batavia: Parapattan
- Bruckner, Gottlob (1830): Proeve eener javaansche spraakkunst, Serampore: Missions-Drukkery
- Burns, Robert / Thomsen, Claudius H. (1831): Kitāb al-qudūs… The new Testament of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, in Malay. Revised edition, Volume 1–2, Singapore: British and Foreign Bible Society
- Thomsen, Claudius Henry (1833): A Vocabulary of the English, Bugis and Malay languages, containing about 2000 words, Singapore: Mission Press
- Thomsen, Claudius Henry (1846): A vocabulary of the English and Malay languages. Enlarged and improved, Singapore: Mission Press
- Thomsen, Claudius Henry (1831): Bugis Tract No. 1, Second edition, Singapore: Mission Press
- Thomsen, Claudius Henry (1833): Bugis Tract, 3rd edition, Singapore: Mission Press